ITS Individual Computing Support & Compatibility Guidelines
Allowing Java Web Applications in Safari
When you use Safari to access websites using plug-ins such as Java or Flash, you are prompted to trust the plug-in for that website. When you see a dialog box like the one below, click Trust to allow the plug-in to run. This is only requested once, but it will be requested for each website.
UVA Box: Allowing the Folder Upload Java Application to Work in Safari
Java is required to be able to upload folders to UVA Box using the Safari browser. The
recommended Java version for Mac can be found at
After installing Java, restart Safari. You will likely be prompted with the following dialog box:
Click the OK button.
- Navigate to https://virginia.edu.box.com and log in.
- In Safari, select the Safari > Preferences menu.
- Click the Security tab and click the
Plug-in Settings... button.
- Click the Security tab and click the Plug-in Settings... button.
Configure the Java plug-in for the UVA Box Folder uploader
- Scroll the list on the left until you see "Java", and click the check box to select Java.
- Hold the option key down and click the dropdown menu to the right of "virginia.app.box.com". Select "Run in Safe Mode" to uncheck it. Click the dropdown menu again and select "Ask" instead of "Off". This applies only to the Box.com site.
- Click "Done" to close the window. Then close the Preferences window.
- Refresh the Box page or restart Safari.
- Go back to UVA Box and sign in. In the Box web page, click the Upload button and
choose Folders. You will be prompted with a dialog box similar to the following:
- Click the Trust button. In a few seconds, you will be prompted to run the Java
- Click Run.
- You should then see the upload box. Click "Add files" to select the folders and/or files to upload.
- Select the files and/or folders you want to upload and then click Choose, followed by Upload.