UVA Identity Token Authentication
Installation Instructions for SafeNet iKey UVA Identity Token
If you are upgrading to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you must uninstall any previous versions of the SafeNet drivers before upgrading. If you upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with the existing SafeNet drivers still installed, your computer may be unable to use a UVA Identity Token after the upgrade.
After upgrading, you will not need to reinstall the SafeNet drivers unless you are using an iKey.
SafeNet iKey Software Installation Instructions for Windows Supported Versions
1. Clean up certificates and install the UVA High Assurance Root Certificate using the UVA Network Setup Tool.
- Install the UVA Network Setup Tool.
- Open the Network Setup Tool, but do not click the Next
- Instead, as shown below, clean up expired and invalid certificates by selecting Tools, then Cleanup Certificates.
- This is the only safe way to clean up old certificates.
- Install the UVA High Assurance Certificates by selecting Tools, then
High Assurance Certificate Support -> Install UVA High Assurance Root
Note: Do not select Download and Install iKey Driver. As of April, 2012 there is a new download location for all Token software. This option will be removed from the next version of the UVA Network Setup Tool.
2. Install the UVA Identity Token Software.
- Previous versions of token software must be uninstalled before continuing. Use Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Windows Control Panel to uninstall all Rainbow or SafeNet software entries. Reboot when all previous software is uninstalled.
- Get the token software from UVA Software: When prompted for installation type, select Standard:
Note: You should restart when prompted during the installation.
3. Set Your UVA Identity Token Password.
Required: You must change the Token's initial default password. If you have not already changed the password when you picked up your token, look up the initial password.
- Think about a password you will be able to easily remember. The password must be minimum 6 characters
and include at least 3 of these:
- uppercase letters
- lowercase letters
- special characters
- Insert your token into the USB interface and wait a few seconds.
- Open Token Utilities: From the Applications Menu select SafeNet -> SafeNet Authentication Client -> SafeNet Authentication Client Tools.
- When the SafeNet Authentication Client opens, click Change Token Password.
- In the Change Password dialog, enter the token's initial password (if changing for the first time) or, optionally, enter your existing password if you have already set your own password. Then, enter and re-enter your new self-selected password for your token. Click OK.
- Click “X” to close the SafeNet Authentication Client Tools. You can repeat this process in the future as needed to change the password for your UVA Identity Token.
Warning: If you enter your UVA Identity Token password incorrectly ten times in a row, the token will lock itself permanently. In that event, you will have to return your token to the Information Security Access Management Office and have it reprogrammed with new credentials.
4. Test Your UVA Identity Token.
Insert your UVA Identity Token device into the USB interface and wait a few seconds, then start the UVA Identity Token test.
5. Install and use VPN client software with the JointVPN.
- Insert your UVA Identity Token into the USB interface and wait a few seconds. The few seconds of delay allows Windows to register the digital certificate stored on your hardware token with the operating system. This registration must take place each time you start the VPN client software.
- Follow the instructions on the UVA VPN Service site to download and install the VPN client on your computer.